Thursday, February 25, 2010

Drug addict sends Heroin warning from beyond the grave

The tragic story of a teenage drug addict who died from a heroin overdose has been making national news today as her mother has released a letter she wrote just weeks before her death entitled DEAR HEROIN.

Hannah Meredith, just 17, first started taking the drug when she was 15 and vowed to kick the drug. Hannah thought she had finally put it behind her when she penned the moving letter in her diary but was killed by an overdose shortly before her 18th birthday.

Her family are now setting up a charity in her name and offering support to other addicts in her hometown of Llanelli, South Wales. They have also decided to release the personal diary entry in a hope that it will warn other kids to stay away from heroin and alert them to the related dangers.

The letter explain how heroin can take over you, it's not just the risk of overdose that people should consider - it's the effect it has on your life and how ashamed you can become of your actions as the addiction forces you to do things out of character.

Read the letter in full:

Dear Heroin, I never want to touch you ever again, you've ruined my life, made me steal from my family, on probation 'cause of you, why I choose you I don't know?

You're the worst thing that ever came into my life. Yes, I did love you but now it's time to say goodbye.

I'm so ashamed of myself 'cause of you. I OD three times, you're a big risk to anyone that does it and to me.

So I'm going to be strong and stay away from you and never touch you again.

My family have supported me all the way but I just kick them up the backside taking advantage of them.

Stole off my mother, grandad, Mam Iscoed. I borrowed money off her and didn't give it back. She's getting old now, and look what you've made me do, my nan £120 stolen off her, once again 'cause of you.

I love my family from the bottom of my heart, it's not nice being called a junkie or smack 'ed.

It feels horrible, you feel so small. Well I feel small, you made me feel like I'm worth nothing, just a dirty junkie sticking needles in my arms.

You're out of my life now, don't need you no more.

Yeah, you've messed me up nearly 2½ years of my life but I've still got my whole life ahead of me and I'm going to prove to everyone that I can stay away from you, going to college, getting a job and a car.

Then get on with my life and get my family's trust back. Stop offending, that's the only reason I was doing all that 'cause of your dirty addiction. You make me sick, to be honest with you.

I did love the buzz of you but you're not worth it. By losing my family, thinking about you pi***s me off.

But not any more, I'll make sure you stay away from me, and I'll stay away from you.

I was brought up by a good family not a bad one, yeah I've had a lot of problems in my life, been quite bad actually, all because of you (heroin) (gear), (smack)!!

You're a killer, you've killed a lot of people and really they are good people.

I'm lucky that you haven't put me in a box cemetery.

Lost loads of my mates and it hurts me, they sometimes blank me 'cause they know I've been on you (gear) it's not nice when I've got pin holes in my arms and marks, track marks.

The illness that I go through when I use you and the after effects, cold turkey, clucking, withdrawals, it's the worst feeling that you've put me through, being bad off you.

Wanted to kill myself a few times 'cause I couldn't go through it.

Well guess what (heroin) I can and did do it. I can beat you any time. I can control you, you don't control me.

I've got enough will power to get you out of my life for good. I'm strong and much stronger than you can ever be.

I'm not losing anything over you. Goodbye heroin.

Never again. Family comes first.

Hannah Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment


Social Media Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory   My Zimbio